You haven’t really been to Kolkata if you haven’t relished the best street food in Kolkata. The cultural capital of India, Kolkata boasts of super-delicious food. From exclusive sweets to delicious chaats, there are numerous street food alternatives in the city that will surely delight you! Here are the best street food items in Kolkata one must try while exploring the streets of the city and enjoy a burst of flavors and spices.
1. Phuchka – phuchka is the most famous street food in Kolkata. Stuffed with mashed potatoes, sprinkled with spices, and then filled with tamarind chutney, pickled water, pudina, and lime. They belong to the golgappa family, but the typical flavor of Kolkata is what makes them different from gol gappa or pani puri.
2. Churmur - Much like Phuchka, this street food of Kolkata is a mix of crushed puchka, mixed with mashed potatoes, onions, spices, and of course tetul gola – pulp of tamarind. Though it tastes similar to Phuchka, Churmur is easier to eat.
3. Ghugni - Ghugni is made mainly of boiled yellow and white peas – mixed with onions, coriander, chillis, tomatoes, spices, and topped with tamarind pulp. This is a popular street food in Kolkata, and deserves all the popularity!
4. Jhaal muri - An easy and quick munchy, Jhalmuri is a tossed-up mix of puffed rice, namkeen, peanuts, coriander, onions, tomatoes, spices, chillies, and more. No oil and no cooking makes it the quickest and the best street food in Kolkata. The final outcome is then served in a conical newspaper wrap. Pair it up with hot tea, or simply munch on while on the move.
5. Shingara - Shingara is a triangular fried snack with potato stuffing that you crave to eat with hot masala chai in the evening. Shingara, the best street food in Kolkata, is not limited to aloo stuffing; you can get mutton, chicken and lamb as well.
6. Aloo kabli - Aloo Kabli is a spicy and hot dish you mustn’t miss when you crave for something flavorsome in Kolkata. Boiled potatoes are tossed with tamarind pulp, onions, tomatoes, chilies, chickpeas, and a magical combination of masalas.
7. Luchi and Aloor dom - Aloo Dom is the rendition of Bengali’s for Dum Aloo and if you haven’t tasted it with luchi, then you’re missing out on something real good. While in Kolkata make sure to add Fairlie place in the list and enjoy the scrumptious taste of the heavenly combination of mashed potatoes and bengali spices.
8. Moglai parantha - Mughlai paratha is actually a roti stuffed with chicken keema and broken cutlets, onion and eggs. This is one of the most stomach filling and soul satisfying street food in Kolkata which tastes just heavenly. Found in almost every corner of the city, Mughlai Paratha is worth a try.
9. Kabiraji cutlet – this snack is made with minced mutton which is wrapped in egg net and deep fried, the delicious taste of the cutlet is to die for. Among all the delicious street foods available here, the Kabiraji cutlet is a must try.
10. Ghoti gorom – this is an amazing combination of Chanachur, lemon juice and onion which is locally known as Ghoti Gorom. This street delicacy is one of the go-to food in Kolkata streets which offers the best flavors of spice and sweet.
Amity University, Kolkata